Monday, September 04, 2006

What to do when you have a flu?

Having a flu is never the best feeling to have. I'm currently having one and yeah it kinda sucked! If I was in school I'd probably enjoy it cos I'd get off school but I guess since its school holidays its also not a nice thing to have since a holiday is meant for a holiday - i.e Having fun!

After a couple of days struggling with body aches and fuzzy feeling around the head. Not forgetting my swollen tonsils, thus swallowing food is a problem! Also that funny feeling like someone is poking in your ears. Yikes! I decided to go to the clinic today. Got my medication although not so sure if it does apply. Everyone knows antibiotic doesnt help much with flus. I might as well eat it for the sake of knowing it will make me better.

For once I actually got an MC today by the doctor, normally she doesnt give me. And for a first I rejected her MC... Dang! I knowwww... I can hear ya! Why didn't you take it? Well, I guess when it comes to real life - out of school that is, comes responsibilities known as WORK!!! Dang that word just keeps banging in my ear, perhaps even laughing at me. Oh well, nonetheless rather than self pity, I'll keep myself busy and pretend I dont have it. Although the out of body experience is very hard to ignore.

Anyways, I checked out the internet to see what I should do and compare with what I have been doing for so far when I do get a flu.

Try these
tips if you get the flu:

1. Rest in bed or on the couch.

This is the best form of medicine when it comes to flu. I came down with a flu once over one weekend. I slept throughout the day, wake up and drink plenty of water, eat hot chicken broth porridge, took some painkillers, panadols, manuka honey for my sore throat or tonsilitis. By monday I was up and running.

Dang I should've done it over the weekend. I was so sure I was getting better that I only did the rest in one day but off course with a busy wedding weekend again sleep is not an option. Being stressed I've read can prolong the flu. So best to sleep, dont think and no stress!

Get lots of sleep and take it easy.

2. Drink lots of fluids.
Yes, plenty fluids. Mine would include, bottles of water. Although water during a flu taste dry. Drink cordials but not cold - this helps with the taste issue. Ask your maid to cook chicken broth and lots of em for morning, noon and night! Hot milo also helps a whole lot especially when you've lost all appetite to eat cos of your swollen tonsils. I like Neslo - Milo and Nestum. Nestum gives it an extra Ummmph. Normally at work I'd order hot lemon honey tea. Lemon and honey helps to soothe the throat. The heat helps to cool the chills that you get.

3. Take acetaminophen or ibuprofen to relieve your fever and achiness. Over-the-counter cold or cough medicines may also relieve some flu symptoms. Avoid taking aspirin, though, unless your doctor says it's OK.
Yes this can be necessary. I try to avoid it as I don't like to put much medicine into my system. Natural is the preference but is all else fails this does help to relieve the aches and pains.

4. Wear layers. You might be cold one minute and hot the next, and wearing several layers - like a T-shirt, sweatshirt, and robe - makes it easy to add or subtract clothes as needed.
Am wearing one right now.... oh no wonderlah I feel cold and chill all of a sudden ..

5. Wash your hands frequently. You don't want to spread the flu to everyone else, if you can help it. Also, don't share cups and eating utensils with other people until you're better.
Okay I didnt know this but hey it's always good to know.
I was kinda shocked to read this part "Most of the time, you'll feel better in a week or two". What? I can't afford to be sick for this long... Dang flu go away! hehehe Anyways, I better put my sleep-rest-drink-rest plan into action soon or else will prolong it even more. Hey am missing out on all the actions in bahapakitani karang.

If you have any specific 'feel-good' ways of what to dos during a flu, do share with us your chicken broth recipes, your best drinks to drink during a flu or perhaps other things that you do when you do get the flu.

Who says you can't have fun when you're sick! Yeeee haaaaaaaa!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this article doesn't make much sense, the wording and structure of your paragraphs is a bit odd.
P.S. Not everyone has a maid!

Anonymous said...

this article totally helped me! i have a horrible flu right now and can't afford sleeping around what with school, so knowing that others feel the same helped alleviate my stress. and it was very enjoyable to read.